Make your own Embellishments with Watercolor Pencils
Hello friends, it's Terhi here today. I’m very excited to show you what I’ve created with the new Kelly Creates products!
Kelly Creates has a large line of products for beautiful lettering projects, card making, stamping, and other crafts. I picked up the new Kelly Creates Watercolor Pencils, and I want to show you how easily you can create your own embellishments with them.
This tutorial can be used for virtually any craft, but in this example I used a scrapbook layout!
Kelly Creates Watercolor Pencils set comes in a beautiful array of colors. The pencils are water soluble, which means you can mix them together and have way more color options. Mixing is easy, so let’s start with that.
- The type of paper you use is important with watercolor projects! Start with American Crafts Foundations Media Paper or choose some other white cardstock suitable for watercolors. If you use regular cardstock, remember to add a layer of gesso in order to prepare the surface for watercolors.
- Now comes for the fun part! Use the watercolor pencils as you would any other pencil. Draw, write, color, and let your imagination fly! In order to mix colors, color them on top of each other. Coloring with gentle strokes and several layers gives the best results. For reference, I’m using the colors Mermaid and Pink Pearl.
- Add water and watch the magic happen! For this example, I’m using a Kelly Creates Water Brush with a fine tip. Water brushes are the best with watercolor pencils hands down.
Now that you know how to use the watercolor pencils, take your skills to the next level by making your own quick and easy embellishments! I am going to make stars in this example, but the sky is the limit here!
- Using waterproof ink and your favorite stamps, press the image(s) onto cardstock. Remember to use a strong media paper! Side note: an embossing technique would work well too if you want.
- Next, simply start coloring inside the lines (or stamp onto the place you colored earlier). Finish the process by activating the colors with water. For this lovely star I used colors Dolphin and Sea Foam. I’m using star stamps from the Let’s Go Stamp and Die set Vicki Boutin's Let's Wander collection.
- Once the stars are completely dry, cut them out and use them however you want!
As mentioned before, by mixing the colors you can combine the watercolor pencils with any products you are using. I wanted to use Vicki Boutin's Let's Wander collection because it has a wide color scheme and it’s perfect for the story I wanted to tell with my layout.
The journaling is written on the backside of the layout because even with my tiny handwriting, the long story of our marriage wouldn’t have fit nicely on the front.
I used the star embellishments I created in two different ways on this layout. There are stars attached with foam dots and some stamped straight on the background. This gives the layout some depth and dimension. In addition to stars, there are other words stamped on background, too. I used black in for the words to add some contrast.
It’s always fun and educational to see new products used, so during my creation process I recorded a video to my YouTube channel. If you want to take a look how the layout came together, click the link here: https://youtu.be/c_DIy4IKCZ0.
Thank you for visiting us today! I hope you've learned something new. Happy crafting!
Products used: Kelly Creates Watercolor Pencils (354721), Kelly Creates Water Brush Fine Tip, Let’s Wander patterned papers Sunshine and Smiles (355301), Day Tripping (355302), Picture Perfect (355304), Escape (355308), Fly Away with Me (355309), Chasing Stars (355310), Let’s Wander Stamps and Dies Set (352261), Let’s Wander Embellishment Pack (355340), Let’s Wander Ephemera Icons (355337), Let’s Wander Cardstock Stickers (355335) Let’s Wander Thickers (355334) Let’s Wander Specialty Paper (355313), American Crafts Foundations Media Paper (343917), Sticky Thumb Dots (340272), Sticky Thumb Runner (342039).